Today's duty was worth to learn a lesson. Duty at Operating Room, Bethany Hospital. Our duty started at seven in the morning and ended at seven in the evening. We were actually good only for 8 hours but we had an overtime because of the succeeding operations for the whole afternoon. We had no choice but to extend our time. And besides, we benefited from that extension.
I scrub for an operation(removal of herniated tumor). It was a really awesome experience seeing again internal parts of a human anatomy. But an unexpected phenomena occurred. I made a mistake, :( I clutched my elbows without notice and accidentally reap the tip of the needle handle(with a needle in it) and fell down to the floor of the operating room. Sterility at that time faded for that unlucky needle and needle handle. Another needle was served. But destiny would not allow. I misconceptionally threw the new needle to the trash. I thought it was just a plain thread so I disposed it. But I did not noticed the there was a needle in it. The situation got more serious that time because only of that second needle that went useless. wew I'm getting weird. I could not focus, my knees were trembling. My hands were shaking(this is just normal for a student nurse in toxic cases like this). I got an award(disliking sermons) from the anesthesiologist. But the surgeon just ignored my mistake and said that it's just normal committing mistakes. My fault was forgivable, he added. Then came my clinical instructor and told me to give focus to what I'm doing. Then I kept the play and stand erected until the whole operation was over.
That was my most embarrassing move in the operating room. *gasp for an air*
Of course it matters when unexpected mistakes disturbs you concentration. The fact that I committed mistakes and learn from it also matters. It was disappointing on my part, I know. But at least that situation made me realise that by being a beginner also mean a lot of struggles.
The doctor's phrase reminded me of this when he said, "if you want to become a surgeon, you must go to hell and come back alive."
I must keep my head up whatever happens. Goodnight.
I scrub for an operation(removal of herniated tumor). It was a really awesome experience seeing again internal parts of a human anatomy. But an unexpected phenomena occurred. I made a mistake, :( I clutched my elbows without notice and accidentally reap the tip of the needle handle(with a needle in it) and fell down to the floor of the operating room. Sterility at that time faded for that unlucky needle and needle handle. Another needle was served. But destiny would not allow. I misconceptionally threw the new needle to the trash. I thought it was just a plain thread so I disposed it. But I did not noticed the there was a needle in it. The situation got more serious that time because only of that second needle that went useless. wew I'm getting weird. I could not focus, my knees were trembling. My hands were shaking(this is just normal for a student nurse in toxic cases like this). I got an award(disliking sermons) from the anesthesiologist. But the surgeon just ignored my mistake and said that it's just normal committing mistakes. My fault was forgivable, he added. Then came my clinical instructor and told me to give focus to what I'm doing. Then I kept the play and stand erected until the whole operation was over.
That was my most embarrassing move in the operating room. *gasp for an air*
Of course it matters when unexpected mistakes disturbs you concentration. The fact that I committed mistakes and learn from it also matters. It was disappointing on my part, I know. But at least that situation made me realise that by being a beginner also mean a lot of struggles.
The doctor's phrase reminded me of this when he said, "if you want to become a surgeon, you must go to hell and come back alive."
I must keep my head up whatever happens. Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear your comments. Let me know what's on your mind, and leave a name.